If you are responsible for a crash

You have access to care and recovery benefits, even if you are responsible (at fault) for a crash.

If you're found 100 per cent responsible (at fault) for a crash, vehicle repairs for the other party involved are paid for by their Basic Vehicle Damage coverage. If you have Collision coverage, it pays for your vehicle repairs. Your ICBC Basic insurance will pay for your medical and rehabilitation expenses.

What your Basic insurance covers​​

Medical costs

Enhanced Accident Benefits are available to anybody in B.C. who is injured in a motor vehicle crash, no matter who is responsible.

Enhanced Accident Benefits are here to support you in accessing all the medical and rehabilitation care available to you if injured in a crash, with no overall limit to the coverage available. Treatments can include physiotherapy, chiropractic care, occupational therapy, registered massage therapy, clinical counselling, psychological services, kinesiology and acupuncture. Enhanced Accident Benefits also cover things like dental care, alternative therapy, and home support after an injury if needed.

Income replacement

If you’re unable to work due to an injury from a crash, you can receive 90 per cent of your net income in wage loss benefits, up to a maximum of $113,000 gross annual income.

If you earn more than $113,000 per year, Income Top-Up coverage​ is available to cover the amount of income replacement provided under Enhanced Accident Benefits.

Third Party Liability

Third Party Liability provides coverage up to $200,000 for the following situations:

  • Non-vehicle property damage

  • Injury costs and vehicle damage that you cause to the other driver(s) and/or passengers while driving outside of B.C. in jurisdictions where the law permits the other driver to sue

  • Damage to the contents inside of the other driver’s vehicle

What your Optional insurance covers

You may be covered for the following if you purchased Optional insurance coverage:

Damage to your vehicle

If you have Collision coverage, it will pay for damage to your vehicle even if you are 100 per cent responsible for the crash. It also covers the costs of towing, storage and salvage disposal.

You will have to pay a deductible - the amount you have to pay toward repairs before your insurance pays for the rest.

If you don't have Collision coverage, from ICBC or another insurance provider, you're not covered for these costs if you’re found responsible for a crash. You will need to pay 100 per cent of your vehicle repairs.

Damages owed beyond $200,000 (if you have Extended Third Party Liability coverage)

If you have Extended Third Party Liability coverage, this will pay for damages owed to another party that exceed $200,000, up to the limit you purchased.

Talk to your Autoplan broker about how much Extended Third Party Liability coverage is right for you.

How your insurance is affected

If you are responsible for a crash, your Basic insurance premiums will likely go up the next time you renew or purchase insurance, unless you have a long, claim-free record. It may also impact any policies where you are a listed driver. The costs for any Optional insurance you have (Collision, for example) may go up as well. In general, the more crashes you are responsible for, the more you will pay in insurance.

For an accurate estimate of how your premiums may be affected​, you will need to be within six weeks of your insurance renewal, which is when you receive your renewal reminder. For general information about impacts to your premiums, you can talk to an Autoplan broker.

Repaying a claim

You may be in a crash that doesn't involve injuries or costly vehicle damage. It might make financial sense to repay the cost of damages to ICBC so it won't affect your future premium. For more information on what options are right for you, please contact your Autoplan broker.

What if someone else was driving my car?

If someone else drives your car and causes a crash, the crash will affect the driver’s record, not yours.​​

Disagree with the responsibility assessment?

If you disagree with your responsibility assessment, you can file a dispute.​

Quick links