If you want to take legal action

You always have the right to retain a lawyer for your claim. But with Enhanced Care, you probably don’t need to.

Your right to a lawyer 

You always have the right to retain a lawyer. A lawyer can advise you during the ICBC claims process and with other legal matters. But because Enhanced Care provides various benefits, it is not necessary to sue for damages.


Why you likely can’t file a lawsuit for crash damages

Since Enhanced Care was launched in May 2021, everyone involved in a crash is automatically covered by ICBC. While we still determine who is responsible for a crash, this doesn’t change the level of care you will receive if you are injured. That means most of the time, these kinds of lawsuits are no longer necessary or permitted in BC.

This system ensures everyone can have their costs covered, without the need to sue for damages. This saves you money on insurance premiums, lawyer fees, and the stress of going to court, so you can focus on your recovery.

Exceptions where you can still take legal action

Though Enhanced Care removes the need for most lawsuits, there are still situations where it’s possible to sue for damages. For example, if you’re injured in a crash and the at-fault driver is convicted of certain Criminal Code offences, such as impaired driving, you can still sue the other party in a civil claim for certain damages.

If the injuries sustained in the crash fall within the definition of minor injury, the maximum compensation for pain and suffering, based on the date of the accident, is:

Accident date

Minor injury limit

April 1, 2024 to March 31, 2025


April 1, 2023 to March 31, 2024


April 1, 2022 to March 31, 2023


April 1, 2021 to March 31, 2022


April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021


April 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020


Filing disputes with the Civil Resolution Tribunal 

If you have a dispute with ICBC or another person or organization, you have the option to file it with the BC Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT). The CRT is independent from ICBC and helps B.C. residents resolve disputes without needing to go to court.

For example, if you think we made a mistake with the responsibility assessment of your crash, you can file a dispute with the CRT. If the CRT makes a ruling that changes our earlier decision, we will adjust it to match the ruling.

The Civil Resolution Tribunal can look at disputes about:

  • Entitlement to benefits

  • Property or vehicle damage

  • Some personal injury damages

  • Some responsibility assessments

  • How injuries were classified (as minor or non-minor)

  • And more

Quick links