Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions


​Yes, two of the new optional coverages available are:

  • Hit and Run covers up to $200,000 of repair costs if your vehicle is hit by an unidentified vehicle in B.C. If your policy includes ICBC's Collision coverage, you're already covered for hit-and-run damage.

  • Income Top-Up offers additional income replacement coverage to British Columbians who earn more than $113,000 gross income per year, in the event that they're unable to work due to injuries from a crash.

Enhanced Care also brings changes to vehicle damage coverage under Basic insurance. If you're not responsible for a crash in B.C. with another vehicle, your Basic Vehicle Damage covers repair costs and your premiums will not be impacted.

This coverage launches with Enhanced Care and will automatically be included in your insurance.​

Yes, if you don't want to drive it right away. However, you should still register the vehicle in your name within 10 days of purchase. You can do that at any Autoplan broker office. Remember to bring the previous owner's signed registration document and a signed Transfer of Ownership form with you.

Keep in mind, if you're planning to park it on a public street (even in a permitted zone), most municipalities require any vehicle parked on the street to have valid licence plates. This means you'll need to purchase insurance for it so check with your municipality to confirm what you need.

Make sure you keep a copy of the Transfer Tax form pdf​ signed by the new owner as a record that you've transferred the vehicle.

If there are any licence plates associated with the vehicle please see your Autoplan broker.

Learn more about transferring vehicle ownership.

First, ask the person selling the car to go to an Autoplan broker to replace the missing vehicle registration.

If you're unable to contact the seller, that's OK. As long as the vehicle is registered in B.C., we can do a vehicle records search for you. Please write to:

Driver Testing and Vehicle Information
143 - 151 West Esplanade
North Vancouver, BC V7M 3H9

Explain that you need to identify the last registered owner. Sign the letter and include:​​

  • a photocopy of your proof of purchase. For example a bill of sale, a completed Transfer tax form pdf (this is a sample only) or a notarized statutory declaration. Transfer tax forms are available at any Autoplan broker.

  • a $7 cheque payable to ICBC.

If you don't have one of the above proof of purchase documents, you need to send a completed Unregistered Vehicles and Missing Signatures Declaration (MV1484)​ form pdf​.​ Note that this must be filled out before a notary public or a commissioner for taking affidavits in B.C.

For more information, please call 604-661-2233 or 1-800-464-5050 (toll-free number).

Learn more about the steps to buying a used vehicle and registering a vehicle in B.C.

You both do. And the easiest way to complete your sale is to go to your Autoplan broker together with the buyer and handle all of the paperwork in the broker's office. Don't forget to bring your plates!

Learn more about the steps of selling your vehicle.

Good news: as long as the vehicle you're importing meets safety standards and federal importing rules, and was not damaged in a flood or designated as a parts only vehicle, you can register it here.

You may want to check with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles for what to keep in mind when importing a vehicle from the U.S. You can get a safety inspection done at any designated inspection facility in B.C. Remember—you'll need a special permit and insurance to bring the vehicle here. For details, please talk to your Autoplan broker.

Also, see: Importing a vehicle into B.C.

No, but please be sure to include the correct fuel code (in this case, P or N) on the vehicle description section of the Transfer/Tax form pdf. You can download the form and complete it using Acrobat Reader pdf​ or pick up a copy from any Autoplan broker. The fuel codes are found on the back of the form.

A vehicle with an after-market fuel conversion must be registered as modified, unless:

  • The fuel conversion was installed by a B.C.-licensed installer

  • A B.C.-licensed installer issued a BC Safety Authority Installation Certificate, and

  • The vehicle did not undergo any other modifications (such as changes to suspension height or chassis) that would classify the vehicle as modified.

See more information on Modified vehicles

Yes. Check out the BC SCRAP-IT® Program. SCRAP-IT provides incentives to replace higher polluting vehicles with cleaner forms of transportation.

If you retire your 2000 (model year) or older vehicle, you can choose from incentives such as transit passes, bicycles, car sharing memberships, new or used cars, or $200 cash. If you buy a replacement vehicle, remember to update your insurance so that it's still valid.

This means that a claim was reported for the vehicle, but we don't have any record of payment for its repair or replacement at the time you got the report. This could mean that the owner chose to not repair the vehicle, has repaired it privately, or ICBC has not yet paid for the repairs.

The crash will go on your driving record, not your friend's, and it may impact your own insurance premiums the next time you purchase or renew insurance. It also may impact any policies where you are a listed driver.

Find out more about how crashes impact your insurance premiums.

Having deductibles is standard in the insurance industry and it helps keep insurance affordable.

When you buy insurance, you choose a deductible. It is the amount you must pay before your insurance pays for repairs.

If the other driver is at fault, your deductible may be reimbursed or waived.​

ICBC will assess responsibility based upon the information available.

By law, every motorist in B.C. has to report a crash within a reasonable amount of time. Your claims representative will attempt to call or send a letter to the other driver before your claim appointment.

After two weeks, ICBC will send a second letter asking to report within the next 10 days. If the other driver fails to do so, we will assess responsibility ​based on the information available.

Report to your private insurance company if you damaged your own vehicle only.

You’ll need to report to ICBC as well if:

  • there was any injury,

  • another vehicle was involved and/or

  • there was damage to another property.

It takes longer to settle your claim as an ICBC claims representative may need to negotiate with the claims representative from the other insurance company.

For customers with Roadside Plus coverage, we can reimburse up to $50 toward expenses due to roadside emergencies such as:

  • towing your vehicle to a repair shop after a breakdown

  • retrieving keys locked in your car

  • changing a flat tire

  • jump-starting a battery

Report your emergency roadside expense claim online or fill in our Emergency Roadside Expense Repayment form pdf and send it to:

ICBC Emergency Roadside Expense
405 - 10470 152nd Street
Surrey, BC V3R 0Y4

You'll need to make this claim within 12 months of incurring the expense.

If you have Loss of Use coverage, either on its own or as part of the RoadStar or RoadSide Plus package, you may be entitled to a rental vehicle while it is being repaired. There are maximum per-day and total limits.

Find out more about rentals and transportation options​ while your car is being repaired​.

Visit the Courts of British Columbia website and search for ICBC claim. You can browse through past judgments to see if there are any circumstances similar to your own.

Remember, every situation is different. Factors affecting settlement amounts include:

  • Types of injuries

  • Extent of injuries

  • How injuries impact your lifestyle and ability to work

  • Previous similar settlements or court cases.

If both drivers were working at the time of the collision regardless of fault. WorkSafeBC has to review your claim and decide whether you're covered.

If you were working and not at fault, you should make a WorkSafeBC claim. Government legislation states that ICBC is not allowed to pay out for Accident Benefits if you are entitled to claim medical, rehabilitation or wage-loss benefits through WorkSafeBC.

Under certain circumstances, you may choose to claim compensation through WorkSafeBC or ICBC. Please speak to your claims representative for more details.

Yes, we'll reimburse the amount that is required to resolve your claim. Please speak to your claims representative for more details.

ICBC would determine if you were responsible for contributing to a passenger's injuries using precedent and case laws, considering:

  • the circumstances of the crash,

  • the age and competence of the passenger(s) and

  • whether you’ve made sure they wore seatbelts.

Learn more about seatbelt laws in B.C.

Yes, in the event of a crash dashboard cameras can be very helpful in resolving fault accurately and fairly. However, we discourage the use of any electronic devices while driving because there is always the potential for it to be a distraction.

ICBC needs to receive notices as soon as possible. The fastest way is to email [email protected] (attach the notice as a scan or picture). Alternatively, you can take the notice to your local Claim Centre or mail it to

c/o Manager, NOCC Handling Department
#550 - 3777 Kingsway
Burnaby, B.C.
V5H 3Z7

For next steps, please contact your claim representative.

No. When you sell a collector or modified collector car, the new owner must make a new application for collector status and plates.

See collector vehicles for more information.

You may only transfer the plates onto another collector status vehicle that is registered in your name within certain time frames. Please check with your Autoplan broker for details.

Yes, however if you are the sole registered owner of a collector vehicle and want to change to joint ownership later, you must reapply for your collector status and pay the applicable transfer fees. The best time to arrange for joint ownership is when you first apply for your collector vehicle status.

See collector vehicles for more information.

If your antique vehicle has active collector plates, vintage plates may also be displayed—but only if there isn't a vintage policy (APV44) in place. Your collector plates must be mounted in the primary licence plate location.

Only if you have a collector multi-vehicle plate and you own several collector vehicles, but drive only one vehicle at a time.

To qualify for a collector multi-vehicle licence plate, you must be the registered owner or one of the registered owners of the cars and they must all:

  • be registered in B.C.

  • be pre-approved by ICBC to share the collector vehicle plate

  • have collector status, and

  • be either all cars and trucks or all motorcycles.

Find out more about collector vehicles.

Yes, in some cases you can register the vehicle while it’s undergoing restoration, before it’s ready for a safety inspection.

Discuss your options with your Autoplan broker today.​

Call our Autoplan Sales department at 1-800-328-4484 (toll-free) or 1-604-661-6956 ​(lower mainland) ​from Monday to Friday 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

If your vehicle is still in B.C., call an Autoplan brok​​er.​ If you are in Canada or the United States, you may be able to renew online​.

No, unfortunately, you can't get a refund for any years remaining on your B.C. driver's licence. Driver licensing fees contribute to the cost of the card and to road safety programs. It helps keep our road safe for everyone.

You may contact RoadSafetyBC at 1-855-387-7747 and advise them of your concerns. Learn more about driver re-exam road tests and tips for senior drivers.

As a temporary foreign worker in the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Program, you may drive for up to 12 months on a valid licence from your home country.

If you’re staying longer than 12 months and want to continue driving, you’ll need to get a B.C. driver’s licence. For more information, please contact us.

You will need a minimum of a Class 4 (restricted) commercial driver’s licence issued in B.C.

Find out more about insurance and licensing requirements for ride-hailing.

Yes, you'll have to repeat both the knowledge test and motorcycle skills test. Learn more about getting a motorcycle licence.

You have until midnight on the expiry date to renew.

It depends on where you are. If you're in B.C., find the nearest Autoplan broker to have the documents replaced.

If you're outside B.C., you'll need to:

Call us before faxing a completed form to ICBC:

  • 1-800-328-4484 (Canada and the U.S.)

  • 1-604-661-6956 (Other countries)

Your vehicle may need to be rated in a delivery rate class, depending on what else you use the vehicle for and how often you use the vehicle for delivery. We want to make sure you're covered so talk to your broker about how you plan to use the vehicle. They’ll help make sure you have the right insurance.

You don’t need to own a vehicle to start building an insurance discount. Insurance premiums are based on a combination of factors, including driving experience, crash history, where you live and how you use your car, as these are all factors that make up your risk. Find out more about what determines your cost of insurance.

No. There are situations when you can insure a vehicle without a valid driver's licence. For example, you might own and insure a vehicle but depend on others to drive it. For more information, speak to an Autoplan broker.

If you’re a learner, you can insure a car with a learner’s licence. Crashes caused during the learner stage will not go on your driving record; however the learner premium will apply to help cover the risk that learner drivers represent.

If a learner will be driving your car, you will need to list them on your policy and the learner premium will apply. The learner premium ranges from $130 to $230 per year, depending on where you live.

Find out more about the learner premium.

Call our Autoplan Sales department at 1-800-328-4484 (toll-free) or 1-604-661-6956 ​(lower mainland) ​from Monday to Friday 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

If your vehicle is still in B.C., call an Autoplan brok​​er.​ If you are in Canada or the United States, you may be able to renew online​.

Sorry, we're not able to temporarily suspend your current insurance. However, a few options may be available to meet your changing needs. Speak to your Autoplan broker about:

  • buying a Storage Policy if you're not using your vehicle or intend to put it in storage,

  • reducing your coverage to a minimum, or

  • getting a short-term policy lasting between three and 11 months.

If you cancel your policy before it expires, you can be eligible for a refund. Find out more about cancelling your insurance.

You will need a minimum of a Class 4 (restricted) commercial driver’s licence issued in B.C.

Find out more about insurance and licensing requirements for ride-hailing.

Peer-to-peer car sharing allows car owners to make their vehicles available for others to rent via an online platform.

How you are insured will depend on whether the peer-to-peer company has ICBC blanket insurance or not. Peer-to-peer rental companies are not required to have ICBC blanket insurance, so you should enquire with them directly to find out if they have it.

Find out more about insurance for peer-to-peer vehicle rental.

Drivers will be asked to list those who regularly drive your car, such as household members or employees. Find out more about listing drivers.

If your family member is not listed on your policy and causes a crash in your car, you could face a one-time penalty. Listing drivers prevents this risk. Also, having Unlisted Driver Protection on your policy can give you peace of mind if you want the flexibility to lend your car occasionally to drivers not listed on your policy.

If you buy another car to replace your broken-down one, you have up to 10 days after buying that car to visit an Autoplan broker and transfer coverage on the vehicles. During that time, you can use the old plates if all of these conditions are met:

  • The vehicle you're switching plates to is registered in B.C. (or was purchased from a licensed B.C. auto dealer).

  • You have sold or otherwise disposed of your broken-down vehicle.

  • Both vehicles are the same type (for example, passenger vehicles).

  • The licence plates are valid B.C. plates.

If any of these conditions are not met, contact an Autoplan broker to find out how to properly license your vehicle.

If you still own the broken-down vehicle, you’ll have to visit an Autoplan broker to transfer the licence and insurance before you can move the plates to another vehicle.

Tip: if your vehicle won't be used for a while, you may want to ask your broker about buying storage insurance. It helps protect your vehicle even when it's not being driven.

Unfortunately, no. Any time you cancel your insurance, you have to return the plates, including personalized ones, to your Autoplan broker to get a refund on your insurance. If your insurance simply expires, you don't need to return the plates.

You retain the rights to your slogan for 12 months from the expiry date of the policy or from the time of cancellation. After more than one year, you'll have to pay another $100 application fee to renew the slogan.

We never issue rebates or refunds by text message or send e-transfer notifications via text message. 

If you receive a text message or an e-transfer notification by text, this is a scam. Please do not click on any links within these messages and delete any you receive.

We take fraud very seriously because it impacts all British Columbians. Learn more about our commitment to fighting fraud​, ​including how you can report any suspected fraud. ​​

Call us or book an appointment to visit any ICBC driver licensing office for assistance.

You may contact RoadSafetyBC at 1-855-387-7747 to dispute, appeal or request a review for some prohibitions or suspensions. 

Yes, you may call us for a copy of your traffic ticket.

No, all prohibition, suspension and/or penalty points stay on your record for five years.

If you receive more than three penalty points during the same assessment period you'll be charged a premium. Find out how you can reduce the fees of your driver penalty points premium.

Yes, you can transfer a vehicle to your ex-spouse without paying PST if:

  • The transfer is due to a termination of a legal marriage or common-law relationship (where the individuals have been living with each other in a marriage-like relationship for two years or more)

  • The transfer is from one partner to the other, or from joint ownership to single ownership

  • The dissolution of the relationship is supported by a formal separation agreement or court order.

You will need to provide documentation such as a written separation agreement, marriage agreement, agreement dividing property under the Family Law Act, or a court order. Please talk to your Autoplan broker for more details.​

Call 1-800-910-4222 before authorizing any repairs outside the province. Find out if your car can be repaired where you are or whether it will need to be brought back to British Columbia.

Some repair shops outside B.C. may not accept payment directly from ICBC. You might have to pay for the repairs first and apply for reimbursement when you get back home.

Keep a copy of the repair shop's bill and supporting invoices for parts and materials. You will need these for reimbursement.

Our Comprehensive coverage covers damage caused by falling or flying objects. Speak to your Autoplan broker to find out if you’re covered.

If you’re covered, you can report directly to an ICBC Glass Repair Network facility to repair the chip or replace the windshield.