Hit and run claims

Find out your coverage for hit and runs and how to make a hit and run claim. Learn what to do if you witness one, or if it happened outside B.C.

What is a hit and run?

A hit and run is when an unidentified driver damages your vehicle or injures you, but leaves the scene of the collision. Some examples are:

  • Another vehicle collides with yours, but the other driver leaves the scene before you can get their name, driver’s licence number and vehicle’s licence plate number.

  • You return to your vehicle after leaving it unattended in a parking lot and see it has been damaged by another vehicle but no one has left a note with their plate information and/or contact information.

  • A driver hits you while you are walking as a pedestrian or on your bike as a cyclist and doesn’t stop.

How am I covered?

B.C. residents

If you are a B.C. resident injured in a hit and run crash either in B.C. or elsewhere in Canada or the United States, in most cases Enhanced Accident Benefits will provide care and recovery benefits for your injuries with no overall limit. This could include costs like chiropractic treatments, medication, physiotherapy, counselling, dental care, home support and more.

If your vehicle is damaged by an unidentified driver, the damage may be covered in one of two ways:

  • If you have ICBC Collision coverage, it covers vehicle damage caused by any sort of collision including a hit and run.

  • If you have ICBC Hit and Run coverage, it covers vehicle damage caused by an unidentified driver on any roadway in B.C. that is considered a “highway” under the Motor Vehicle Act.

In addition, all B.C. residents are covered up to $200,000 for non-vehicle property damage caused by a hit and run. If you have no other source of coverage for damage to your non-vehicle property, such as a fence, bicycle, or contents carried in or on your vehicle, you may be able to make a claim.​

Non-B.C. resident cover​​age

Non-B.C. residents injured in a hit and run crash in B.C. may also be eligible for Enhanced Accident Benefits to assist with their care and recovery needs if they have no other source of coverage.​

What do I ​pay?

If you are claiming vehicle damage and have ICBC Collision coverage you will have to pay your chosen Collision deductible, which could be as low as $300. If you have ICBC optional Hit and Run coverage​​ you will have to pay a $750 deductible.

Claims for non-vehicle property damage are also subject to a $750 deductible.

There is no deductible on ICBC coverage for injuries resulting from a hit and run. Your insurance premium will not be affected by a hit and run claim.

If your collision coverage is with another insurer, please contact that company regarding your coverage and its deductible requirements.​

Steps to making a hit and run claim

Step 1. Try to identify the other vehicle and the person responsible

Call the police immediately if you notice the hit and run motorist leaving the scene, and provide the description of the vehicle and the driver, the plate number, and the direction the vehicle is travelling, if you can. 

Step 2. File a police report if necessary

If there’s a suspect, or if you were injured in the hit and run, we will need a police report. Try to make the report within 24 hours.

Step 3. Report your claim

Report your claim to ICBC as soon as you can, and no later than six months after the incident, to ensure we can process your claim.

If you have collision coverage through another insurer, also call that company’s claim-reporting line.

Step 4: Get the treatment you need

If you have injuries, learn more about the  process.

Step 5. Meet with us at a claim centre or ICBC Repair Network facility

Your claim representative will let you know if you should go directly to a repair facility for repairs or if you need to meet with ICBC staff at a Claim centre for further assessment. An ICBC estimator or repair facility representative will need to examine your vehicle damage with you. 

Do not wash or repair your vehicle before your appointment for an estimate.

You may also need to make a statement or submit a sworn affidavit. 

Step 6. Get your vehicle fixed

Once the damage estimate has been approved by ICBC, you can have your vehicle repaired at the repair facility of your choice.