If you need to take time off work

Focusing on your recovery sometimes means taking time off work. We’re here to support you with income assistance until you can return.

Income replacement benefit

If your injuries have prevented you from working after the first seven days, you may be eligible for the income replacement benefit. This benefit can replace your lost wages up to 90 percent of your typical net income, based on a maximum amount of $113,000 in annual gross income. If you earn more than this, you have the option of buying additional Income Top-Up coverage.


You may be covered by insurers other than ICBC

In some cases, you may have a primary insurer other than ICBC, such as WorkSafeBC if you were injured while working, disability or sick day coverage through your employer, or Employment Insurance (EI) through the Government of Canada.

That means ICBC would be your secondary insurer and would only pay out after any other wage loss benefits. You'll need to apply for those benefits first and then your ICBC income replacement calculation will take them into account.

Visit the WorkSafeBC and Government of Canada websites to submit your wage loss claims.

How to apply for income replacement benefits

You’ll also need to talk to your ICBC recovery specialist to give them details of your past employment, including income verification so they can calculate the amount of income replacement you're entitled to. You may be asked to complete an Enhanced Accident Benefits application and your inability to work will need to be confirmed by a health care practitioner.

Returning to work

Our goal is to make sure you can return to work and be self-sufficient again. Once you can return to your regular job duties, your income replacement benefit will end.

You may choose to have a gradual return to work by returning part-time as you continue to recover. If you do, your income replacement benefit will be reduced based on your part-time income.

Quick links