Submit your odometer reading
If you were unable to provide the reading when you purchased or renewed your policy, you can submit it online or through your broker any time in your policy term. However, to be eligible for usage-based discounts, proof of your odometer reading must be dated no earlier than seven days before the date you renewed or purchased your current policy and no later than seven days after that same date.
Usage-based discounts are calculated with two odometer readings. If you’re submitting your first odometer reading, you’ll need to submit a second one in a year to be considered for a discount.
How to submit an odometer reading
First, you’ll be asked to upload proof of the odometer reading. That proof must be dated no earlier than seven days before the
date you renewed or purchased your policy and no later than seven days after that same date. Please note that the date you renewed or purchased your policy can be different than the date your new policy comes into effect.
For example, if you renewed your policy on September 12, the proof must be dated between September 5 and September 19.
Accepted proof can be one of the following (.jpg, .pdf or .png file formats):
- A clear and legible photo of the vehicle odometer
- A receipt or work order with an odometer reading from a garage, mechanic, auto shop or dealership
- An odometer reading from a service or app that reports vehicle information and diagnostics
Then you’ll also enter the odometer reading, without decimals, in a text box.
If you can't log in with your BC Services Card or online banking credentials, contact a broker to submit your odometer reading for you.
What happens after you submit?
We’ll review your submission to make sure it meets eligibility and evidence guidelines.
If you’re eligible for a usage-based discount, we’ll contact you by email to confirm the discount in approximately one to two business days. How you receive your refund for the difference depends on how you paid for your policy:
- If you paid by credit card and you’ve already signed up direct deposit: you’ll receive a refund for the difference in your account, typically three to four days after we confirm your discount
- If you paid by credit card and haven’t signed up for direct deposit: you’ll receive a cheque, typically mailed to you one to two weeks after we confirm your discount
- If you’re enrolled in ICBC’s payment plan: your refund will be applied to your remaining payments
If you’re not eligible, we’ll contact you by email to let you know. This typically takes about seven business days.
If you’re submitting your first odometer reading, the reading will stay on file until you submit another one in a year.