Autoplan Insurance

Cancel your insurance

Find out how to cancel an Autoplan policy, how we'll determine your refund, and what to expect if you are on a payment plan.

Our most important tip for cancelling your policy is to bring your licence plates to your broker - they are linked directly to your insurance.

How to cancel your insurance

To cancel your insurance, you’ll need to visit your Autoplan broker with:

  • Your primary and secondary ID

  • Your licence plates (or police file number if the plates were lost or stolen), and

  • Your owner's certificate (insurance and registration). If the vehicle is jointly owned, both owners will need to be present.

The sooner you cancel your licence plates and insurance, the more you may get back if you're eligible for a refund. A cancellation fee may apply.

Note: if you are using a rental or substitute vehicle while your vehicle is in the repair shop, do not cancel your insurance until the rental is returned.

Refund amounts

The refund amount depends on:

  • The time remaining on the policy term

  • Any outstanding debt, and

  • Any non-refundable fees (for example, transfer of ownership fees, new licence plate fee or payment plan enrolment fee).

Payment plan customers

If you're on a payment plan, try to cancel at least one day before your payment is due. Depending on your situation, there may be an additional withdrawal from your account to cover any missed payments or non-refundable fees. Your Autoplan broker can answer any questions you have about your cancellation.

When you sell your vehicle, visit your local Autoplan broker as soon as possible. Take the licence plates and your insurance papers. Your broker may recommend that you cancel your plates and insurance, or transfer them to a new vehicle if that's a better option for you. 

Keep a copy of your bill of sale or the transfer of ownership form pdf for your records.​

Take your licence plates and insurance papers to your local Autoplan broker and find out the best option for you. You may want to cancel the Autoplan policy, or transfer it to another vehicle.

Contact the leasing company. Since the leasing company actually owns the vehicle, you'll need its permission to cancel the insurance.​​

How to cancel your insurance from outside B.C. depends on whether you still have your B.C. licence plates.

If you still have your B.C. plates

Mail the plates to ICBC along with:

  • A signed letter requesting the cancellation that includes your licence plate number, new address and new phone number

  • A photocopy of your new registration document, if you've already registered your vehicle outside B.C.

Mail the letter, documents and plates to:

ICBC - Cancellations
Room 205 - 151 West Esplanade
North Vancouver BC  V7M 3H9

If you surrendered your licence plates

In B.C. or to a licensing authority outside of B.C., send ICBC:

  • A signed letter requesting the cancellation that includes your licence plate number, new address and new phone number

  • A copy of the receipt to show that you have surrendered your plates to a licensing authority outside B.C., if you didn't surrender them in B.C.

You can send these documents via mail, fax to 604-661-6727, or email [email protected].

To an Autoplan broker in B.C.:

  • Request the broker call ICBC to document that the plates were surrendered. Without confirmation, we will not be able to cancel your policy.

ICBC payment plan

If you are on a payment plan, note that we will continue to withdraw your monthly payments until the cancellation has been processed. Once processed, if there are still premiums owed, we will debit your bank account to close your plan. If a refund is due, we will mail you a cheque.​

Have you lost a loved one who was the registered owner of a vehicle? Please be aware that it's important to contact your local Autoplan broker as soon as you can. Your Autoplan broker will help you cancel or change the policy.

The sooner you cancel the licence plates and insurance, the more you'll get back (if a refund is due).

Your broker can help you determine what estate documentation you'll need to cancel the insurance, make changes to the policy or transfer ownership of the vehicle.

You may also want to see:

Transferring ownership of the vehicle
Cancelling a driver's licence when someone has passed away 

Still not finding an answer to your question? Your Autoplan broker can help, or contact us.​