​What to expect from ICBC

We’re here to help any British Columbian injured in a crash access the care they need. Find out what to expect from ICBC when you've been injured in a crash.

Support from ICBC

If you've been in a crash, you can report your claim online or by phone.

After you first report your crash, if you are injured, a support and recovery specialist will be assigned to you. Our specialists are here to answer your questions and guide you through your claim from start to finish. ​


Get approved treatment

You do not have to wait for a support and recovery specialist to contact you before getting treatment under Enhanced Accident Benefits. For the first 12 weeks after your crash, you can go for treatment with certain types of health care practitioners without the need for a doctor’s referral. Just make sure you have your ICBC claim number when getting treatment.

Learn more about getting treatment after a crash​.

If your crash happened on the job

If you were working at the time of the crash and you were injured, your injury claim should be reported to WorkSafeBC. You'll find the information you need to report your injury on the WorkSafeBC website​.

​If you were injured as a cyclist or pedestrian

If you were a cyclist or pedestrian injured in a crash with a vehicle, you’re eligible to receive the same full range of care and recovery benefits as drivers in most cases. This ​includes income replacement benefits if you’re unable to work and additional benefits in the event of a serious or life-altering injury. If you’re not responsible for the crash or share some responsibility, you can claim the damage caused to your bike. ​

Care and recovery

Enhanced Accident Benefits are included in your Basic insurance and are there to support your recovery. The benefits are available for all B.C. residents injured in a crash, no matter who's responsible​ (at fault).

Enhanced Accident Benefits are here to support you in accessing all the medical and rehabilitation care available to you. This could include costs like hospital care, chiropractic treatments, medication, physiotherapy, counselling, dental care and more. You may also be eligible for other benefits, such as income replacement and benefits to support you at home – so you can focus on getting better. Your support and recovery specialist will explain the benefits that are available to you, but your doctor or medical practitioner will determine your care.

Vehicle repairs

When you report your claim, we'll let you know whether you can go directly to an autobody shop of your choice for your estimate and repairs, or if you'll need to first come into a claim centre. A claims representative will be assigned to you and is there to help if you have any questions related to vehicle repairs.​


Some of the forms you may be expected to complete include: