Frequently asked questions

Buying and selling vehicles


Yes, if you don't want to drive it right away. However, you should still register the vehicle in your name within 10 days of purchase. You can do that at any Autoplan broker office. Remember to bring the previous owner's signed registration document and a signed Transfer of Ownership form with you.

Keep in mind, if you're planning to park it on a public street (even in a permitted zone), most municipalities require any vehicle parked on the street to have valid licence plates. This means you'll need to purchase insurance for it so check with your municipality to confirm what you need.

Make sure you keep a copy of the Transfer Tax form pdf​ signed by the new owner as a record that you've transferred the vehicle.

If there are any licence plates associated with the vehicle please see your Autoplan broker.

Learn more about transferring vehicle ownership.

First, ask the person selling the car to go to an Autoplan broker to replace the missing vehicle registration.

If you're unable to contact the seller, that's OK. As long as the vehicle is registered in B.C., we can do a vehicle records search for you. Please write to:

Driver Testing and Vehicle Information
143 - 151 West Esplanade
North Vancouver, BC V7M 3H9

Explain that you need to identify the last registered owner. Sign the letter and include:​​

  • a photocopy of your proof of purchase. For example a bill of sale, a completed Transfer tax form pdf (this is a sample only) or a notarized statutory declaration. Transfer tax forms are available at any Autoplan broker.

  • a $7 cheque payable to ICBC.

If you don't have one of the above proof of purchase documents, you need to send a completed Unregistered Vehicles and Missing Signatures Declaration (MV1484)​ form pdf​.​ Note that this must be filled out before a notary public or a commissioner for taking affidavits in B.C.

For more information, please call 604-661-2233 or 1-800-464-5050 (toll-free number).

Learn more about the steps to buying a used vehicle and registering a vehicle in B.C.

You both do. And the easiest way to complete your sale is to go to your Autoplan broker together with the buyer and handle all of the paperwork in the broker's office. Don't forget to bring your plates!

Learn more about the steps of selling your vehicle.

Good news: as long as the vehicle you're importing meets safety standards and federal importing rules, and was not damaged in a flood or designated as a parts only vehicle, you can register it here.

You may want to check with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles for what to keep in mind when importing a vehicle from the U.S. You can get a safety inspection done at any designated inspection facility in B.C. Remember—you'll need a special permit and insurance to bring the vehicle here. For details, please talk to your Autoplan broker.

Also, see: Importing a vehicle into B.C.

No, but please be sure to include the correct fuel code (in this case, P or N) on the vehicle description section of the Transfer/Tax form pdf. You can download the form and complete it using Acrobat Reader pdf​ or pick up a copy from any Autoplan broker. The fuel codes are found on the back of the form.

A vehicle with an after-market fuel conversion must be registered as modified, unless:

  • The fuel conversion was installed by a B.C.-licensed installer

  • A B.C.-licensed installer issued a BC Safety Authority Installation Certificate, and

  • The vehicle did not undergo any other modifications (such as changes to suspension height or chassis) that would classify the vehicle as modified.

See more information on Modified vehicles

Yes. Check out the BC SCRAP-IT® Program. SCRAP-IT provides incentives to replace higher polluting vehicles with cleaner forms of transportation.

If you retire your 2000 (model year) or older vehicle, you can choose from incentives such as transit passes, bicycles, car sharing memberships, new or used cars, or $200 cash. If you buy a replacement vehicle, remember to update your insurance so that it's still valid.

This means that a claim was reported for the vehicle, but we don't have any record of payment for its repair or replacement at the time you got the report. This could mean that the owner chose to not repair the vehicle, has repaired it privately, or ICBC has not yet paid for the repairs.