Frequently asked questions

Licence plates


If you buy another car to replace your broken-down one, you have up to 10 days after buying that car to visit an Autoplan broker and transfer coverage on the vehicles. During that time, you can use the old plates if all of these conditions are met:

  • The vehicle you're switching plates to is registered in B.C. (or was purchased from a licensed B.C. auto dealer).

  • You have sold or otherwise disposed of your broken-down vehicle.

  • Both vehicles are the same type (for example, passenger vehicles).

  • The licence plates are valid B.C. plates.

If any of these conditions are not met, contact an Autoplan broker to find out how to properly license your vehicle.

If you still own the broken-down vehicle, you’ll have to visit an Autoplan broker to transfer the licence and insurance before you can move the plates to another vehicle.

Tip: if your vehicle won't be used for a while, you may want to ask your broker about buying storage insurance. It helps protect your vehicle even when it's not being driven.

Unfortunately, no. Any time you cancel your insurance, you have to return the plates, including personalized ones, to your Autoplan broker to get a refund on your insurance. If your insurance simply expires, you don't need to return the plates.

You retain the rights to your slogan for 12 months from the expiry date of the policy or from the time of cancellation. After more than one year, you'll have to pay another $100 application fee to renew the slogan.