Apply for a car seat or booster seat reimbursement or allowance
To replace your child's car seat, you can apply to ICBC for reimbursement of the cost, if you qualify.
To qualify, your car seat cannot exceed manufacturer's expiry or useful life date.
You will also need to have:
- ICBC Collision, Comprehensive or Specified Perils coverage, or
- a claim where the other ICBC insured driver is wholly or partially at fault.
You have two options for reimbursement of a child car seat:
- Reimbursement or allowance for the damaged seat that is not being replaced
- Reimbursement or allowance for a replacement seat you purchased
If your child is old enough to stop using a car seat, you may prefer option one, and will receive an allowance. However, if your child still needs a car seat, you need to purchase the replacement in 30 days and keep the receipt for full reimbursement.
Replacement seats must be of
similar make and model to the damaged seat.
Steps for submitting your application
1. Confirm your car seat meets Canadian requirements and is within its useful life date.
If you are replacing your damaged seat prior to applying for reimbursement from ICBC, both your damaged and replacement seats are required to have the National Safety Mark, indicating that they meet Canadian regulations.
Watch this video to learn how to locate the
National Safety Mark, the manufacturer or expiry date of the seat.
You will need:
- seat details for your damaged and/or replacement seat
- receipt details for your damaged or replacement seat
- proof of disposal for the damaged seat to prevent future use
- photographs of the manufacturer's label on the damaged seat
3. Dispose of your car seat properly
Watch this video to learn how to cut the straps to dispose of your old car seat.
4. Collect and submit your supporting documents
Provide any supporting documents, such as receipts and photographs, separately from your reimbursement application form.
firstname.lastname@example.org: Ensure the subject of your email includes your claim number and last name.
By mail, fax or in-person: Ensure you include a copy of your reimbursement application when sending supporting information to ICBC.
PO Box 2121
Vancouver, BC V6B 0L6
Find a claim centre near you
5. Await payment
You should receive payment within 30 calendar days of submitting your application, unless further supporting information is required.
An incomplete reimbursement application may delay payment.
To get your reimbursement more quickly, find out how to easily
sign up for direct deposit with ICBC through an
Electronic Fund Transfer.