Driver licensing

Find a Service Location

​​​​​​​​​Renew your licence or ID

Find out how to renew your driver's licence or BCID.​​

To renew your driver's licence or BCID, bring two pieces of accepted ID to any driver licensing office up to six months (180 days) before your licence expires.

Driver's licence renewal

Renew your driver's licence

You can't smile in your new driver's licence photo, but hopefully our friendly, efficient service will make you leave with one. Renewing is simple and easy—here's how.

How to renew

To renew your licence:

To renew your learner’s licence, you need to re-take and pass the knowledge test. ​Find out more at Get your L (​.

If you are outside of B.C. at renewal time

Your licence must be renewed in person. If you'll be away when your licence expires, try to renew before you leave. Like your passport, it’s important to hold a valid driver’s licence at all times when abroad or when visiting the U.S., if you plan to do any driving.

You can renew it up to 180 days early—and you won't lose any time on your licence.

If you're outside of B.C. when your licence expires, or if renewing within 180 days early isn't enough, call our driver licensing information line.

Expired licences

It's illegal to drive with an expired licence—don't leave it till the last minute.

Ongoing medical conditions

Upon each application and renewal of a driver’s licence, you will be asked to declare any new or ongoing medical or physical condition. Please let us know if you would like privacy while doing so. ICBC is committed to ensuring your privacy as well as making reasonable accommodation for those with disabilities.

BCID renewal

Renew your BCID

Your BCID card must be renewed every 5 years. Renewing is simple and easy. Here's how.

How to renew

You do not have to re-submit a consent form if you're under 19.

Your current BCID and a credit or bank card with your name and signature on it would typically qualify, unless you've recently changed your name.

BC Services card

Learn about getting a BC Services card as a free alternative to a BCID.

EDL or EIC renewal

EDL/EIC update

The Enhanced driver's licence (EDL) and Enhanced ID card (EIC) programs are being phased out, which means we are not renewing, replacing or issuing new EDLs or EICs. However, if you currently have an EDL or EIC, it will remain valid until the expiry date. When your EDL/EIC expires, we will issue you a driver's licence/BCID. If the expiry date of your EDL/EIC is within the 180-day renewal window, the standard BCDL/BCID renewal fees will apply, otherwise no fee is required.

Border crossings for EDL/EIC card holders

Previously RFID readers were available only when entering the U.S. by land, but starting late in 2017 the Canadian Government is installing readers at some border crossings to allow EDL and EIC card holders the same benefits when re-entering Canada. In B.C., this includes the Pacific Highway (Surrey, B.C.), Douglas (Surrey, B.C.), and Aldergrove crossings. There is no change in the information shared with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), the new RFID readers will simply allow access to your information faster to make your land travel more secure and efficient. If you have any questions, please call our driver licensing information line.​

Licence expired 3+ years?

​If your B.C. driver's licence has been expired more than three years, find out how to renew it.

If you've been driving with an out-of-province licence

If during the last three years you've been driving with an out-of-province licence, you'll need to exchange it for a B.C. driver's licence. Book an appointment to renew your licence at an ICBC driver licensing office. You’ll need to bring two pieces of accepted ID and the renewal fee.

If you haven't been driving

If your licence expired over three years ago and you haven't been driving, you'll need to be retested before you can renew.

You will need to book an appointment to take a vision screening and road signs knowledge test at an ICBC driver licensing office. You’ll be issued a learner’s licence. There is no fee for the road signs test.

You can then book a re-exam road test when you're ready.

  • Before your road test, any outstanding fines, medical requirements, cancellations or prohibitions must first be satisfied.

  • If you have been licensed to operate several classes of vehicles, a road test using each type of vehicle will be required.

  • Should you wish to retain a previously held air brake endorsement, you must also complete an air brake pre-trip inspection on an air brake-equipped vehicle.