Driver licensing

Find a Service Location

  • Print this page

International driving permits

If you'll be travelling abroad and want to drive, you might need an International Driving Permit. These aren't issued by ICBC, but here's some helpful info on how to get yours from the British Columbia Association of Automobiles (BCAA).

What's an International Driving Permit?

A Canadian International Driving Permit is a translation of your current valid licence and when accompanied by that licence legally allows you to drive for up to one year in other countries. These permits are not valid in all countries, so check with
BCAA before you travel.

Who is eligible? 

To get your permit you must:

  • Be over 18 years old
  • Have a Canadian home address
  • Have a valid driver's licence

How to get an International Driving Permit?

First, visit the BCAA web site and print your International Driving Permit application. Next, visit your nearest BCAA office with the following:

  • Your completed application form
  • A photocopy of both sides of your Canadian driver's licence
  • Two passport photos (you can get these taken at any BCAA office)
  • The required fee to pay for your International Driver's Licence