Card security and your privacy
In addition to ICBC, public agencies and thousands of private businesses rely on the security features and integrity of the information that appears on our licences and ID cards to confirm your identity. That's why our ID cards protect you with extensive security features.
How our cards help protect your identity
Our photo cards meet the highest standards for integrity and security.
- Polycarbonate, durable design. You will notice a "tinny" sound if dropped on a hard surface.
- Raised laser etching of your name on the surface of the card.
- Miniature/micro-printing throughout the face of the card.
- Fine line background and security spiraling to make photo substitution difficult. (This is why you will find your photograph appears in black and white.)
- A slightly overlapping signature to make photo substitution difficult.
- Colours that blend across the front of the card.
- A 'ghost' image with your year of birth on the right-hand side that can be felt by touch.
Why we collect your personal information
ICBC is committed to respecting both your individual rights and following B.C.'s laws for recording your information. We always strive to give you the best service while balancing these needs.
Your privacy is important to us. We collect your personal information to issue driver licences and BC Services cards and BCID cards. We also use facial recognition software to protect you from fraud and identity theft.
For driver's licences, the information is used to create and issue licences, keep driving records, and operate driver safety and improvement programs. For BC Services Cards and BCIDs, information is used to create and issue the cards and keep any associated records.
What authorizes ICBC to collect this information?
- The collection of information is authorized by section 25 of the Motor Vehicle Act.
BC Identification Cards
- The collection of information is authorized by section 3 of the Identification Card Regulation.
BC Services Cards
- The collection of information is authorized by section 9 of the Identification Card Regulation.
What is facial recognition software?
Facial recognition software is a computer application that automatically identifies or verifies a person from a digital image. Generally speaking, it compares selected facial features from an image with images in a facial database.