Driver licensing

Change your name or address

Learn how to change your name or address on a driver's licence or ID card.

Change your name on a driver's licence, BC Services Card or BCID

If you've changed your name, you'll need to get a new licence, BC Services Card or BCID card. Updating your driver's licence when you change your name is a legal requirement in B.C.

How to change your name

Name changes must be done in-person. Book an appointment to change your name at an ICBC driver licensing office

You'll need to pay the fee for your new licence or ID, and bring proof of your name change. 

Changing your name on your BC Services Card

If you are changing your name on your BC Services Card or combined Driver's Licence/BC Services Card, the first step is to contact Health Insurance BC to make sure they have your new name on file. Once you know your name is up-to-date on their records, then visit us.

You can contact Health Insurance BC for any name change (or for issues with matching the name on your driver's licence) at (604) 683-7151 or 1 (800) 663-7100.

Proof of your name change

For changes to a Surname due to a marriage or divorce, you'll need to bring either:

  • your marriage certificate issued by a Vital Statistics agency, a religious organization or a marriage commissioner (please note the BC Marriage Commissioner's Statement of Marriage is not accepted), or,

  • your divorce certificate or decree issued by the courts that has both the married and previous names listed (document must have a court stamp/seal to be acceptable).

You may combine your birth surname with a current and/or previous married surname(s). Surnames may be combined in any order with a hyphen (-) or a space. You'll also need to bring supporting documents that show the link from your birth surname(s) to the surnames you wish to use.

For changes to a Given, Middle and/or Surname outside of marriage or divorce, please bring a legal change of name certificate issued by a Vital Statistics agency or Court order.

If your name has changed more than once

You'll need to provide all name change documents for every instance that your name has changed. We call these linking documents as they trace your birth name through to your current legal name.

Acceptable linking documents:

  • Marriage certificate

  • Legal name-change certificate

  • Divorce certificate that includes both your married name and your previous name

  • Court order, stamped by the court registry


Passports cannot be used to change your name or be used as a linking document.


We accept a photocopy only when it is certified (stamped) as a true copy of the original document by the government agency that issued it.

Non-English IDs

If your licence, driving record or ID are in a language other than English, they must be translated by an approved translator pdf. Note that fees and services vary for each translator - please contact them for more information.