​​​​​​​​ICBC supports British Columbians facing wildfires

August 18, 2023

Kelowna Wildfire

With many areas of our province facing the threat of wildfires right now, ICBC is here to support British Columbians through this difficult time. We're closely monitoring active wildfires in our province including the Kelowna area and we're ready to assist impacted customers and communities.

We're sharing important information on insurance, safety tips, and essential documents and items to pack in case you're evacuated from your home.

Make a plan

Pack your essentials into a grab-a​​​​nd-go kit and create an emergency plan for your household. If you're preparing for a possible evacuation, locate and pack important documents to avoid having to replace them if they get damaged. These documents may include:

  • Identification such as your B.C. driver's licence, B.C. identification card, B.C. Services Card, passport, and original copies of your birth certificate, marriage certificate and Canadian citizenship documentation.

  • A copy of your vehicle registration, licence and Autoplan insurance documents.

  • Other documents such as a copy of your home insurance policy and banking/financial information—or anything you may not be able to access remotely or online.

Replacemen​​t identification

If a wildfire forces you to evacuate and you lose your B.C. driver's licence, BC Services Card, or other B.C. identification, ICBC can issue free replacement identification without the need to present additional identification documents (some exceptions may apply).

Visit your nearest ICBC driver licensing office to get replacement identification. You can find office hours and locations here. If you're unable to visit a driver licensing office, we'll try to assist you by phone at 1-800-950-1498. We're available Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. or Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Report ​​a claim

If you need to report an auto insurance claim related to wildfire damage, you can do so online or by phone at 1-800-910-4222. We have dedicated teams to handle claims from wildfire damage. Our contact centre is available 24/7 to support you. 

Insurance coverage

Basic ICBC auto insurance doesn't cover damage from wildfires. We recommend purchasing optional comprehensive or specified perils coverages from ICBC or a private insurer so you have peace of mind knowing your vehicle is protected.

If your community is placed on evacuation alert or ordered to evacuate, you won't be able to purchase ne w comprehensive or specified perils coverage until the alerts or orders have been lifted. However, you can still buy coverages to move your vehicle to safety including Basic auto insurance and optional collision coverages, or a temporary operating permit with Basic coverage and extended third party liability.

For more information about insurance coverage and restrictions for residents in affected areas, please contact your Autoplan broker.


Here are additional resources to help you monitor up-to-date information for your area: