Personalized licence plates
Personalized licence plates are made-to-order licence plates, customized with characters chosen by you. Personalized plates can state your nickname, favourite hobby, wildest passion-practically any unique message that's fit to print.
Can I put a personalized plate on my vehicle?
You can get personalized plates for these vehicles:
- most passenger cars
- motor homes
- light trucks
Personalized plates can't be used on vehicles that require a special type of plate, such as utility trailers or off-road vehicles.
How do I get personalized plates?
It's easy. Here's how:
- Develop your personal message or slogan.
- Fill out an
application for a personalized licence plate. Forms are also available from your Autoplan broker.
- Take the completed application form to an Autoplan broker and pay the application fee ($100).
- You must be the registered owner of the vehicle displaying the plates, or
- Your name must be on the vehicle registration if you lease the vehicle.
- If the vehicle has more than one registered owner, each of you must sign the application.
- You must have existing licence plates, a valid driver's licence and insurance.
Choosing your personal message or slogan
You can use any combination of two to six letters and numbers, or letters only. Sorry, you cannot use only numbers, or a slogan that is already in use.
You may have a blank space or hyphen, but not more than seven character spaces (six for motorcycles).
Keep your message clean!
ICBC will not issue personalized licence plates that may be interpreted as vulgar, indecent or offensive.
Approval process and plate pick-up
- ICBC will confirm that your slogan is available and meets provincial guidelines.
- If your slogan is approved, you will have exclusive rights to it, even on a lease vehicle. Your plates will be manufactured and sent to your broker. When ready for pick-up, you'll be notified by mail. The process takes about two months.
- If your slogan is rejected, you will be notified by letter and your application fee will be refunded.
How much do personalized plates cost?
There is a one-time application fee of $100 and an annual fee of $40 to maintain the rights to the slogan and the use of the plates.
Damaged, lost or stolen personalized plates
If your personalized plates are damaged, lost or stolen, you'll have to pay an $18 fee for temporary regular plates while your personalized plates are remade.
If the plate with the validation decal is lost or stolen, you’ll need to notify the police. The record of the missing plate needs to be removed from the police database.
If only the plate (without the validation decal) is lost or stolen, you don't need a police case number. Just turn in your remaining plate to your Autoplan broker.
More information about personalized plates
604-661-2800 (B.C. Lower Mainland)
1-800-663-3051 (elsewhere, toll-free)