Vehicle registration

Modified collector vehicles

If you have a vehicle registered as a 1974 model or older that has had major components replaced or altered, you'll need to register it as a modified vehicle. It may also qualify as a modified collector vehicle. 

What counts as a modified collector vehicle?

To qualify, a motor vehicle must meet the following requirements:

  • be registered as a 1974 model or older,

  • is in excellent condition and maintained or restored to a condition ICBC considers to be of collectable value; and

  • has the shell of body, coach or cab from the original manufactured motor vehicle (sorry, aftermarket fiberglass, composite, or steel bodies aren't acceptable); and

  • has an altered body that resembles, but is no longer identical in appearance to the original body of the motor vehicle; or

  • has had one or more of the following components replaced or altered:

    • chassis

    • engine and/or power train

    • suspension

    • fuel type

    • steering or braking mechanical component.

If your vehicle is approved, your collector plates will be sent to your Autoplan broker.

Applying for modified collector plates and insurance

  1. Gather and photocopy your receipts, bills of sale or invoices for the major components of the vehicle.

  2. Obtain a "passed" vehicle inspection report from a designated inspection facility (external).

  3. Research the market value of your vehicle.

  4. Locate an original manufacturer's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on the vehicle. The VIN must be clearly visible for sighting by an enforcement officer at the roadside. A VIN that can only be seen by, for example, crawling under the vehicle to inspect a frame rail is not acceptable. If you can't find an original VIN, you must apply for one.

  5. Photograph your vehicle​ following the photo requirements (page 3 of the Application for Modified Collector Motor Vehicle Program). Here are some exam​​ple photos.

  6. Complete the application for Modified Collector Motor Vehicle Program pdf.

  7. Drop off your completed application at an Autoplan broker or mail it to ICBC at:

ICBC - Collector Vehicle department
235-151 West Esplanade
North Vancouver
BC V7M 3H9​

Once we receive your application, it will take about four to six weeks for review.​ This may be longer during peak seasons (April - September).

If your application is approved, your Autoplan broker will contact you. You must insure your vehicle when you pick up your plates at your broker's office.

Add a related individual as a registered​ owner

If you want to add a related individual to the registered ownership of your modified ​collector vehicle, complete add a registered owner as a modified collector form pdf.

Insuring your modified collector vehicle

Once your application is reviewed, ICBC will send a letter to you. If your application is approved, your Autoplan broker will contact you when your plates are available. You must insure your vehicle when you pick up your plates at their office.

When you're using your modified collector vehicle, you can drive for pleasure only. That means you can't use it to drive to or from, or part way to work or to school. Doing so will affect your insurance. Talk to your Autoplan broker for more details.

For more information, contact the Collector Vehicle department:

Lower Mainland: 604-661-2756
Toll-free: 1-844-904-8213
Fax: 604-443-7341