Steps to buying a used vehicle
1. Do research to find a vehicle that matches your needs
Tips for researching vehicles:
- Decide what you need the vehicle for: commuting, work, family? Which models are you interested in? Write down your needs and favourite vehicles.
- Research vehicle
- Research fuel or battery efficiency.
- Research sticker prices. Remember that the type of vehicle you buy can affect your
insurance costs. Ask your
Autoplan broker for details.
- Research leasing, purchase options and resale value.
- Take each vehicle for a thorough test drive and take notes that you can refer to later.
2. Inspect the vehicle for problems
Inspecting a used vehicle for sale gives you precautionary steps to make sure you're getting a good vehicle.
3. Purchase a vehicle history report
vehicle history report could help you choose the right vehicle—and steer clear of a bad deal.
4. Buy the vehicle and transfer ownership
Buying a used vehicle involves more than simply exchanging money and keys.
You also need:
- the seller's original Vehicle Registration (APV250)
- a Transfer/Tax Form (APV9T) completed and signed by you and the seller
You can download the
Transfer/Tax Form (APV9T) and complete it using Acrobat Reader or pick up a copy at any Autoplan broker. Please note that original signatures are still required.
The Vehicle Registration and completed Transfer/Tax Form can be brought to any Autoplan broker. You will complete the
transfer of ownership at the broker's.
5. Register, license and insure your “new” used vehicle
Before you can get licence plates and insurance, you need to
register the vehicle with ICBC.
You can register a vehicle, as well as license and insure it, at any
Autoplan broker in B.C.
We recommend that you and the seller go together to an Autoplan broker to complete the transfer of ownership.
If you're buying a used vehicle from a dealer, the staff at the dealership can help you with the registration, insurance and licensing. The dealership will either have an on-site insurance broker or a broker will have an office nearby.