Vehicle registration

Find a Service Location

​​Import a vehicle into B.C.

Find out how to import a vehicle from another province or country and insure it for its trip to B.C., as well as after it’s been imported.

How to import a vehicle

To find out how to import a vehicle from another country, please review information from these federal government agencies:

If your vehicle is registered in another Canadian province, the import requirements of these agencies do not apply.

Provincial safety inspection

In addition to meeting federal import rules, your vehicle must be inspected at a B.C. designated inspection facility to ensure that it meets B.C.'s safety standards. The cost of inspections vary. Feel free to ask your inspection facility for a price quote.

Please speak to an Autoplan broker for details on vehicles that may be exempted from provincial safety inspection.

Vehicles exempted from the B.C. pre-registration safety inspection

​​​For more information, please contact your Autoplan broker.

Driving the vehicle to an Autoplan broker

When you arrive in B.C., you'll need to drive your vehicle to:

  • B.C. designated inspection facility and​​​
  • an Autoplan broker's office to have it registered, licenced and insured for driving in B.C. The broker needs to see the vehicle to confirm the VIN and odometer reading and check for any visible damage.

Get insured before your temporary insurance expires

It can save you time and money to drive there before your temporary "binder" of insurance expires. Otherwise, you'll need to purchase additional insurance for those trips.

Required documents to bring to your broker

When you go to the broker's office, bring the following:

  • Vehicle Import Form 1 with two stamps from Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
  • CBSA document B15, or B3 or B4
  • the vehicle's original Certificate of Title or Certificate of Origin
  • the original bill of sale, and
  • a "passed" inspection report, signed by the inspector, from a designated inspection facility.

Driving a vehicle from the U.S.

To drive a vehicle home from the U.S., you'll need to:

  • Buy temporary insurance from ICBC called a "Binder for Owner's Interim Certificate of Insurance" from your Autoplan broker. If you're outside of B.C., call 1-800-328-4484, Monday to Friday, 8:15 - 4:30 PST.

  • Buy an in-transit permit from the state in which you buy your vehicle. Please note, most U.S. states will not issue this permit without proof of insurance.

  • If you cancel the binder of insurance before its effective date, the full premium will be refunded. There are no refunds on binders of insurance once the policy is in effect.

Flood-damaged vehicles

Don't get stuck with a flood-damaged vehicle. Many U.S. vehicles have been damaged in floods. These vehicles can't be licensed or insured in B.C.

For details, contact the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.

U.S. citizens studying in B.C.

If you're a U.S. citizen bringing your car to the province and are enrolled full-time at a recognized B.C educational institution, you won't need to register your vehicle. Just apply for a non-resident exemption permit within 30 days of your arrival so that you can drive here. This permit allows you to continue using the registration, licence and insurance coverage from your home state, for as long as you're studying here.

To apply, call ICBC's Financial Responsibility Unit:

  • Lower Mainland: 604-443-4624
  • Toll-free: 1-800-665-4336

Provincial Sales Tax (PST) on vehicles

If you are buying or importing a vehicle or giving or receiving a gift vehicle there may be provincial sales tax applicable and exemptions may apply. Find out more in EnglishChinese or Punjabi

If you have more questions, talk to your Autoplan broker or read the B.C. Government bulletin on vehicle tax

Related topics