Service Alert
Postal dispute:
The ongoing labour dispute at Canada Post may cause minor delays in the delivery of ICBC-related mail. ICBC has plans in place to minimize disruption and to maintain a high level of customer service. Thanks for your patience.
Last updated Wednesday, Oct 31, 2018 04:39 PM

Moving to B.C.

Find a Service Location

Moving from within Canada

Welcome to B.C.! After moving here, you have 90 days to switch over your licence. You can drive with an existing, valid licence in the meantime. 

Most Canadians can get a B.C. licence right away. You just have to have at least two years of experience as a non-learner, and meet some other basic requirements.

How to apply for a B.C. licence

To apply for a B.C. driver's licence, go to any driver licensing office in B.C. Bring the following to apply for your licence:

Don't have two years of driving experience?

If you don't have two years' driving experience (with a full-privilege, non-learner licence) or can't prove it, you can still get a B.C. licence by going through the graduated licensing program. You'll get credit for however long you have been driving.

Commercial licences

Some commercial licences may not be equivalent. To check, visit a driver licensing office or contact us.

Just visiting or going to school?

If you are just visiting here up to six months or are a full time student at a designated institution you may not have to switch your licence. For more information, please contact us.

Giving up your previous licence

Please note than when you qualify for your new B.C. licence, you'll need to surrender your previous licence to ICBC. B.C. law requires that you only have one driver's licence.

More information

If you're unsure about your driving experience or have other questions, contact us. It could save you an extra trip to a driver licensing office.