Activate your EDL or EIC
It's best to activate your card
as soon as you receive it in the mail. An activation date is printed on the letter you receive with your card. You have
30 calendar days from the printed date to activate your card. You can activate your card online or by phone.
Before crossing the border
Activate your EDL or EIC at least 72 hours before you use it to cross the border. (This allows enough time for ICBC to notify border officials.)
How to activate
When you activate your EDL or EIC, you need two numbers:
serial number from the back of your card, underneath the bar code, and
card activation number you received at the end of your application appointment.
Online activation is available
- Monday to Saturday, 4 a.m. - midnight
- Sunday, 9 a.m. - midnight
If you can't find your card activation number or are unable to activate it online, call the EDL/EIC Customer Line.
Activate by phone
When you call the EDL/EIC Customer Line:
1-866-972-6888, you will need your EDL or EIC card.
Phone activation is available
- Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
If you don't activate your EDL within 30 days
You may be denied access into the U.S if your EDL or EIC isn't activated within 30 days, unless you have another acceptable travel document that allows you to cross the border.
If your EDL or EIC isn't activated within 30 days:
- it's still a valid driver's licence or ID, but
- you'll need to book a new appointment and go through the application process again to use your EDL or EIC for cross-border travel. Normal replacement fees apply.