Commercial full-privilege driver licence
Once you have a commercial learner’s licence and have practiced driving, you are ready to be tested to see if you qualify for a full-privilege commercial driver’s licence.
How to get a full-privilege licence
Here are the steps to get a full privilege B.C. commercial driver’s licence:
- Phone your local driver licensing office to book your road test. You cannot book online. Be sure to ask about the type of vehicle you need to bring for the road test. Also ask about how your vehicle should be loaded with transport goods.
- Complete the application form and provide any requested information when you go to the licensing office for your test.
- Take your road test, which includes a pre-trip inspection test as well as an air brake pre-trip inspection test if your vehicle has air brakes. If your vehicle is equipped with air brakes, remember to bring the necessary tools and equipment to do an air brake adjustment. Read about taking the commercial road test »
- Once you successfully complete all your licensing tests and pay the applicable licence fee, we will issue your new higher class licence if you qualify, subject to meeting your medical standards. You will also receive a driver medical examination report to complete.
- Take the medical form to a B.C. licensed physician who knows your medical history. Have the physician complete the form and send it to the Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles. The Superintendent will assess your medical fitness[ for the class/type of licence/vehicle you will driving and determine whether you are fit to drive.
- Receive your photo licence in the mail once it is confirmed that you meet the required medical standards.
Taking the B.C. commercial driver licence road test »